People forget that asparagus can be eaten raw and that it’s equally tasty. It’s also quicker to prepare and probably retains more of its nutrients when prepared this way. Add a few grapes, a little prosciutto (I seem to be on a prosciutto kick), red onions, walnuts for crunch, and a tangy dijon vinaigrette, and you’re all set.
- 2 heads of asparagus, coarsely chopped, bottoms discarded
- 1/8 lb prosciutto
- 1/2 lb of grapes, halved
- 1/4 red onion, very thinly sliced
- handful of walnut halves
- light grating of parmiggiano on top (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons good olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- combine asparagus, prosciutto, grapes, and red onion in a bowl
- whisk together liquid ingredients for dressing. Add to salad, and toss until well dressed.
- Grate optional parmiggiano with a microplane. Top with walnuts and serve